Oh sorry, I was talking to myself
148. Getting caught talking to yourself
Do you like to talk to yourself?
I love it. I do it as often as I can.
A couple of friends have told me that they used to do it often as children, and that they were pressured to stop by their parents or teachers. I am also a friend of me, so I am counting myself in there.
There’s something about it that I take great comfort in. It’s almost like prayer, meditation, or talk therapy. I make up problems and solve them, I have discussions with people I’ve never met, and plan out conversations with someone I really want to talk to (all of which fail immediately in actuality after saying hi).
Everything goes smoothly until you get caught.
Isn’t that the way they say it goes? It happens like this:
“Uh, who are you talking to?”
or more direct:
“Are you, haha, talking.. to yourself..?”
At which point you turn around and say:
- “How long have you been standing there?” – Trying to make it seem all casual.
- “I was thinking out loud” – Hoping that they accept your reason and let it go. They do about half the time.
- “Yeah, SUE ME!” – When you’re feeling defensive.
- “Yes, sir!” – For when you’re feeling confident and YOLO-ish. You talk to yourself, so what?
I admire those people that get stared at because they talk to themselves out on the street. They may have something going on psychologically, but they still have a story to tell just like the rest of us. If you’ve been around me out in the street and see someone that just doesn’t give a crap about what people think about them, you’ve probably heard me say how much I like those people. If you want to wear a dress and sport a mustache that same day, go for it!
As long as your freedom doesn’t interfere with someone else’s freedom, we’re cool… right?
Have a good day, all!