Earth Day started around 43 years ago, thanks to Denis Hayes. You can read more about it from Public Radio International.
It is that time of the year when we all remember the importance of preservation.
Its not about hippies, living la vida loca, or tying ourselves to trees. But for those of you who choose to really make a statement this Earth Day, go all out!
Here are three things you can do today to make things awkward.
- Hide in a bathroom stall and wait for someone to take the stall next to yours. When they’re done taking care of business and reach for the toilet paper… yell out HAPPY EARTH DAY!!! And dump a bag of leaves on them.
- Get a bunch of friends to make a circle somewhere outdoors, and throw dirt at each other!
- Start a “thing” by pinching people for not wearing green today. When they say that it isn’t St. Patrick’s Day and that it doesn’t work, run away yelling “Earth Day streaking!!!” and see if that other “thing” works out and people join you.
Just kidding, guys. Sheesh.
All joking aside, I believe it is important to share this day with little kids… they appreciate nature more than most adults. That is good because maybe some of the members of their generations will take a stronger stand on protecting and preserving the environment.
People make it seem like a tough subject to talk about, with the whole global warming “debate” and the “lost cause” of recycling.. but its actually not that bad. We are slowly destroying our home in exchange for things we don’t need, and some of us are trying to help.
But what ever your views are, celebrate! Go out, have an iced tea! Fly a kite. Take nature photography. Go crazy on Instagram.
Today, we celebrate our home: Earth!
- Happy Earth Day Everyone! (ourchildrensearth.wordpress.com)
- Earth Day 2013. (dlovesdots.wordpress.com)
- Happy Earth Day!!! (lethemeatkale.com)